Reducing waste keeps the clutter down and can save you money
Here are 10 ways to reduce junk, clutter and garbage in your home by taking some simple actions.
1. When you go grocery shopping Bring along reusable fabric bags or large plastic containers
2. Select product that have containers that can be returned, reused, or refilled.
3.Single wrapped food like snack packs and single-serving packaging should be avoided where possible. Buy in bulk to reduce packaging waste.
4. Be conscious of double-packages. You’ll notice that some bulk packages are just individually wrapped items packaged together
5. Buy cleaning products like dish soap and laundry detergent in their concentrate forms for less packaging.
6. Be sure to use composting to dispose of food scraps and yard waste. Did you know that this kind of waste accounts for up to 11% of garbage tossed away by some cities.
7. Contact the Canadian marketing Association to reduce the amount of unwanted mail you receive
. You can get on a list for three years to stop junk mail at your address.
8. Do your shopping at second-hand stores. You can find good low cost used and unused clothes. Great for you and the environment.
9. Buy goods made with recycled content, and use and reuse them as much as possible. i.e. Use both sides of sheets in a notebook before using to the next new notebook.
10. Buying in bulk will save you lots of money and reduce waste. Packaging makes up 30% of the weight and 50% of trash by volume.